Last week MakeSpace announced its existence to the world – and with that it became public knowledge that High Peaks had invested, alongside Mark Suster at Upfront Ventures and Matt Mazzeo at Lowercase Capital.
Mark Suster wrote a great piece on his blog about the company and his relationship with Sam Rosen, the company’s CEO. It’s a story of an investor staying in touch with the right guy, waiting for him to have the right idea.
Sam has always been one of those guys for me. So when we found out the Sam was diving into a new venture and got a handle on the big idea it was pretty easy to get excited.
MakeSpace is digitizing personal storage facilities. The old model of driving your mini-van up to a garage-door-looking-building is outdated. That model only works if you:
- have a mini-van,
- don’t mind throwing your back out while hauling your gear around, and
- are willing to accept that you won’t be able to find anything in that storage unit again until you muster up the energy to go exploring in the future.
MakeSpace is the modern storage service. Here’s how it works:
- You schedule a pickup,
- MakeSpace shows up with bins,
- You fill the bins,
- MakeSpace takes them from your place,
- They then take pictures of all of the contents of bins that you ask them to photograph (you can elect to keep bins private),
- You then can see all of the contents on your phone, tablet, etc. and have MakeSpace deliver your ski clothes from your “digital closet” at any time.
They also will pick up all of your gear from an existing storage unit and ingest it into MakeSpace. You don’t have to do anything except sign up online.
We think it’s a killer idea and a killer company.
As if Sam and the concept weren’t enough, the decision to invest was made even easier when the due diligence process convinced my friend and partner at High Peaks to cross over from investing in the company to help run it. Rahul Gandhi, formerly NY’s nicest VC, is now running ops and finance for MakeSpace. I’m grateful that I’ll have a way to continue working with him. He’s a rock star and I believe he’ll win at anything he does.
They’re already up and running. So if you need to get some gear out of your apartment or you don’t want to go back to the storage facility you currently use, check them out at makespace.com.